Mobility scooters are an increasingly popular way to maintain independence, allowing people to get around safely and comfortably. But if you’re considering investing in a mobility scooter, it’s important to make sure you have all the information you need before making your purchase.
Things to Consider to Help You Decide if You Could Benefit From Buying a Mobility Scooter
Here are some important things to consider when deciding whether or not to buy mobility scooter and if it is the right option for you:
- Consider Your Needs: The first step is to assess your individual needs and determine what type of mobility scooter would best suit your lifestyle. Think about factors like where you plan on using the scooter most often (indoors or outdoors), how much weight the scooter will need to support, and how far you plan on travelling each day.
- Research Different Models: Once you've determined the ideal type of mobility scooter for your requirements, it's time to embark on researching various models. Look into aspects like battery longevity, range, speed, dimensions, and other pertinent features to locate a model that aligns perfectly with your needs.
- Compare Prices: It’s also important to compare prices between different models and retailers so that you can get the best value for your money. Remember that purchasing a mobility scooter is an investment – be sure to get the most out of it by doing your research ahead of time!
- Consider Insurance: In the United Kingdom, unlike motor vehicle insurance, there is no legal mandate for mobility scooter insurance. Nonetheless, it is strongly recommended to contemplate insuring your mobility scooter to safeguard yourself, others, and the value of your investment.
- Ask for Professional Advice: There are many mobility scooter professionals who specialise in helping people choose the right mobility scooter based on their individual needs and circumstances. Speak to our mobility experts to get personalised advice on which model is best suited for your lifestyle and budget.
By taking these steps into account before making your purchase, you can ensure that getting a new mobility scooter will be beneficial for years to come.
The Benefits of Having a Mobility Scooter
Mobility scooters offer an excellent means to maintain your independence and mobility. They provide a convenient way to move around, removing the reliance on others for transportation. However, prior to making an investment in a mobility scooter, it's crucial to ascertain whether it's a suitable choice for your circumstances.
These scooters come in a variety of sizes and models, each tailored to distinct requirements. You'll find compact models that easily enter or exit doorways and larger ones capable of handling more challenging terrain. Some even include convenient features like scooter baskets and storage compartments. Ensuring you select the right size and model to match your needs and that it fits comfortably.
- Consider whether you plan on using your mobility scooter indoors or outdoors. If you plan on taking your scooter outside, make sure you have a good quality tire that is designed for outdoor use. You should also make sure your scooter can handle any bumps or inclines along your route, as some models may not be able to handle these types of terrain.
- Make sure you have a place to store your mobility scooter when not in use - either inside your home or in an outdoor shed or garage, if applicable. Mobility scooters are fairly large pieces of equipment, and they can take up quite a bit of space when not in use, so having somewhere secure is essential if you plan on leaving them outside unattended at any point.
- You should also consider how much maintenance is required with owning a mobility scooter - from charging batteries regularly to checking motor settings - as this could be something that requires additional time and attention if needed.
- If you decide buying a mobility scooter is right for you, remember there are options available at varying price points depending on what features you require and what kind of budget you have set aside for this purchase.
Types of Mobility Scooters
When it comes to choosing the right mobility scooter for you, there are a variety of different types available. Here are some of the most common types and their features.
Folding Mobility Scooters
Folding mobility scooters are a great option for those who need a lightweight and portable mobility aid. These types of scooters fold up easily to be stored in a car, cupboard, public building, or even on public transport. A collapsible mobility scooter is designed with convenience and portability in mind, so it is ideal for those who travel often or simply want a lightweight and easy-to-transport mobility scooter.
Automatic Folding Mobility Scooters
Automatic folding mobility scooters are similar to folding mobility scooters, except they are designed for automated operation. These types of scooters are perfect for those who need an easy-to-use and reliable mobility aid that can be easily transported from one place to another. If you're looking for automatic folding mobility scooters for sale, then please have a look through our range.
Heavy-Duty Mobility Scooters
Heavy-duty mobility scooters are designed for those with more extensive mobility needs. These types of scooters are ideal for outdoor use due to their solid tyres, more powerful motors, and even improved steering performance on certain models. They are capable of tackling rougher terrain such as dirt roads, grass, and gravel. Heavy-duty mobility scooters also come with a variety of features, such as adjustable seating, cargo storage, and even lights for use at night.
Reconditioned Mobility Scooters
Reconditioned mobility scooters are an affordable option for those looking to purchase a quality mobility aid on a budget. These models are refurbished and tested to ensure they meet the same safety standards as new models. A used mobility scooter could be a good option for those people who are unsure whether they would like a brand-new scooter which usually costs more upfront.
Travel Mobility Scooter
Mobility scooters for travel are an ideal option if you plan to take your scooter with you when you’re away from home. These types of scooters are designed with convenience and portability in mind, so they tend to be lightweight and easy to set up. Many travel mobility scooter models also come with features such as foldable seats, adjustable handlebars, and removable batteries which make them the ideal option for individuals that like to be on the go, but need a little support on their journeys.
Mobility Scooter vs. Power Wheelchairs
When it comes to choosing a mobility aid, there are two main options to consider – mobility scooters and power wheelchairs. Both of these types of aids can help those with limited mobility get around, but they have their own distinct advantages and disadvantages. Here we will compare the two to help you decide which option is best for you.
Mobility scooters are ideal for those who need a lightweight, easy-to-use, and portable mobility aid. They come with features such as adjustable seating, detachable batteries, and foldable seats, which make them ideal for travel. They also tend to be less expensive than power wheelchairs and usually require less maintenance. However, they may be less suitable for those with more extensive mobility needs due to their smaller size and limited range.
Power chairs are designed for those who need a reliable and robust mobility aid. Typically, they come with larger motors, better manoeuvrability, a longer battery life, and more storage space than mobility scooters. However, powered wheelchairs are typically more expensive than mobility scooters and may require more maintenance, They also have enhanced stability on different types of terrain, which makes them ideal for outdoor use. They also tend to have a longer learning curve than mobility scooters, as they can be quite complex to operate.
Ultimately, the decision about which mobility aid is best for you will depend on your individual needs and budget. Both mobility scooters and power wheelchairs have their own distinct advantages and disadvantages, so it’s important to consider all factors before making a decision.
Larger vs. Smaller Scooters
When you have made the decision to buy a mobility scooter, it’s important to consider the size of the scooter. Larger models tend to be better suited for outdoor use, as they are capable of tackling different types of terrain, such as dirt roads and grass. They also have features such as adjustable seating, cargo storage, and even lights for use at night. However, larger scooters tend to be more expensive and require more maintenance than smaller models.
Smaller mobility scooters are ideal for those looking for a lightweight and portable option that is easy to transport. These types of scooters usually come with features such as foldable seats, adjustable handlebars, and removable batteries, which make them an excellent choice for those who need a mobility aid they can take on the go. However, they may not have the same capabilities as larger scooters when it comes to tackling different types of terrain.
It all depends on your individual needs and budget. We recommend that you take your time to carefully consider all factors before making a decision.
Medical Conditions and Mobility Devices
When selecting a mobility device, it is important to consider any existing medical conditions or disabilities you may have. Depending on your individual needs, there are several types of mobility devices available that can provide the support and assistance you require. From manual wheelchairs to electric power scooters, these devices can help those with limited mobility move around safely and independently.
If you have a medical condition, it is also important to speak with your doctor or healthcare provider to ensure the mobility device you choose is right for you. They will be able to provide advice and guidance on the pros and cons of different types of mobility devices, as well as help you select the best option for your individual needs.
Preparing for Your Mobility Scooter
When it comes to preparing for your mobility scooter, there are a few steps you will need to take. Firstly, consult with your doctor, healthcare provider, or mobility expert to ensure the device is suitable for your individual needs. This will help you make an informed decision about which scooter is best for you.
Storing and Maintaining Your Mobility Scooter
It is important to ensure your mobility scooter is kept in good condition to extend its life. Regular maintenance checks should be made to keep the device running smoothly and safely. This includes checking that all parts are in working order, such as the brakes, wheels, tyres, and seat. Additionally, you should store your mobility scooter in a dry location and away from direct sunlight. This will help protect the scooter from damage and wear.
Finally, if you are planning to take your mobility scooter on a journey, be sure to check with the airline or train service for their regulations on transporting mobility devices. Each carrier may have different requirements, so it is important to research this beforehand.
Choosing a Safe Indoor Space to Store Your Device
Once you've chosen your mobility scooter, it's important to ensure that you get the most out of your device. To begin with, be sure to practice driving your scooter in different environments so that you become familiar with its operation and handling. It is also beneficial to practice turning, reversing, and stopping, as well as any other manoeuvres you may need to perform.
Finally, it is important to consider where you will store your mobility scooter when it is not in use. To ensure the device remains safe and secure, it is recommended that you choose a suitable indoor storage space, such as a garage or shed. This will help protect your device from bad weather in the colder months or potential theft.
How Much is a Mobility Scooter?
At Mobility Solutions Direct, we have a range of refurbished or new mobility scooters for sale at competitive prices. If you are looking for:
- Collapsible mobility scooter - our prices start from £799.
- Automatic folding mobility scooters - our prices start from £1,399.
- A heavy-duty mobility scooter - our prices start from £1,299.
- Reconditioned mobility scooters - our prices start from £950.
- Travel mobility scooters - our prices start from £1,990.
Mobility Solutions Direct Provides a Wide Range of Mobility Scooters for Sale in the UK
If you're looking to buy mobility scooter online in the UK, our experienced team of experts is always on hand to help guide you to the most suitable product for your needs, giving you peace of mind in your selection process. Our customer service team is available 24/7 to provide any additional mobility scooter service you may need.
You could well be eligible for VAT relief if you are purchasing an item that is used to help, assist, or aid any long-term medical condition such as Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Diabetes, Parkinson’s, COPD, or any other long-term, chronic illness.
Why Choose Mobility Solutions Direct as Your Mobility Scooter Shop?
At Mobility Solutions Direct, we specialise in providing mobility aids. Our commitment to exceptional service and customer satisfaction is unwavering. Our mobility scooter shop provides swift and complimentary delivery service, so you can promptly begin benefiting from your new mobility aid. As mobility experts, we have a vast range of travel mobility scooters, automatic folding mobility scooters, electric wheelchairs, mobility beds, and riser recliner chairs, so if you need extra support going about your day, we have what you need.
Our team is on hand to give you honest, friendly advice to help you find the right mobility products for your situation. If you need any help or have any questions regarding our mobility scooters UK, don't hesitate to drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 0800 9700384.